Training and Development
Well trained employees (and owners) are the backbone of any successful green industry business. At the same time, the speed of change and evolution are faster than ever and it's only going to accelerate. Bottom line, the need for ongoing training and development will become a necessity to succeed.
Luckily, today's web and technology enabled world allows us to keep up in most cases. This does require a desire and ability to seek out the needed resources and put forth the required effort and investment.
Between trade associations, schools and universities, on-line resources, and many other public and private resources, you can find a cost effective solution for virtually any developmental and/or training need you might have. In this section, many of these resources will be discussed and listed.
Fishing Tackle Retailer columnist Ken Duke ends all his columns with “A rising tide lifts all boats. Let’s be that tide. And I mean it, too. If we can find ways to grow our individual corners of the fishing industry we all benefit, and where that means working together we should be looking for ways to […]
“Time and tide wait on no man” as the saying goes. Not only is it painfully true but it is the ultimate motivation behind the discipline of time management. The discipline of time management is one of the hardest and most important we face in life. Those that do work on it and make progress will […]
As a small business owner, the need to leverage your time is on your A list. The only way you can really spend time working on critical success factors is to not spend time working on trivial matters (see A Developmental Approach To Time Management). By delegating tasks and duties once performed by you, you have […]
Well-trained employees are the backbone of any good business, and as an industry loaded with owner operators, this includes owners. As an industry going through a lot of changes in products and practices, training is more important today than ever. Topics like drought tolerant, indigenous, sustainability, smart irrigation, low impact, permeable pavers, and more, dominate the […]
More Training and Development Articles
- Five Best Practices for Corporate Training in Small Businesses from The EvoLLution
- 8 Tips For Training Your Small Business Employees On a Budget U.S. Small Business Administration
- Developing an Effective Employee Training Program from Chron.com
- Importance of Human Resource Training from Chron.com
- National Association Of Landscape Professionals
- Irrigation Association
- Training For Landscape Workers from LSTraining.com
- Learn, Develop, Grow - Free Online and Offline Small Business Training Opportunities
- American Management Association – Seminars
- Kahn Academy free online classes (very good)
- Lynda.com very inexpensive online training
- Training and Development, Small Business Options from Robert Half
Note: Many state and local associations, educational institutions, and governmental agencies offer outstanding training as well. Please see those sections of this Resource page to check on training materials. Also, there are many very good sites similar to Lynda.com and they can be very cost effective.